I made this cake for the Cake-A-Thon in memory of Chef-I-Am. We loved it! Simple to put together with items I always have on hand. Cake was tender and moist. Topping was perfect! Cake and topping complimented eachother well. This recipe is a keeper for me!
Lazy Day Oatmeal Cake
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats (instant or regular, I used rolled oats)
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream or 3 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- In a shallow bowl soak oats in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile proceed by measuring butter and sugars into beater bowl and beating until light.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift and measure flour, sifting again with the soda and spices.
- By this time the oats will be soaked and cool.
- Remove beaters from creamed mixture and fold in soaked oats.
- Sift flour mixture over and fold in.
- Turn in a buttered 9x9" pan and bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes .
- Mix all the topping ingredients.
- Do not remove cake from pan but while still hot spread topping over and put under the broiler until bubbly and tinged with gold.
- Watch carefully.